Lentil & Black Bean Chili
Updated: Feb 18
Started with a plan to make black bean soup today, and went rogue! Created a new cold weather favorite! Caution though... this is spicy due to the chipotles, and the heat index seems to intensify when reheated the next day, so if you want less heat, try just half the amount and you can always add more later.
1 yellow onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 large carrots, diced
3 stalks celery, diced
1 green bell pepper, seeded & diced
1 orange or red bell pepper, seeded & diced
2-15 oz. cans organic black beans (not drained)
1-15 oz. can diced tomatoes (not drained)
1-7 oz. can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
2 c. vegetable stock
1 T. cumin
1 t. oregano
1 t. chili powder
1 t. smoked paprika
1 t. black pepper
1 c. cooked black lentils (cook dried lentils per package directions)
1. Place 1 cup of water in 6 quart pot, add onions, garlic, carrots, and celery, and cook over medium-high heat until vegetables softened, approx 8-10min, add more water if needed.
2. While the vegetables are cooking, place entire can of chipotles in adobo sauce in small bowl, add 1/2 cup of the vegetable stock, and blend with immersion blender (or in food processor or blender). Add to the pot.
3. Add black beans (don't drain), tomatoes, bell peppers, remaining stock, and seasonings.
4. Bring to simmer, then reduce heat to medium-low for 30 minutes, add cooked lentils, and cook another 30 minutes.
5. Serve garnished with fresh cilantro (and hot sauce if desired :).
Serves 4-6. Enjoy!