Black Bean Soup
Nothing beats a good black bean soup... Perfect comfort food and packed with nutrition! Like many of my recipes, this recipe is vegan and very forgiving.
2 T. olive oil
1 small onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 large red bell peppers, seeded & diced
1-2 jalapeno peppers, seeded & chopped
1 large carrot, diced
2-15 oz. cans organic black beans (not drained)
1-15 oz. can diced tomatoes
2 c. vegetable stock
1 T. cumin
1 t. oregano
1 t. smoked paprika
1 t. Ancho chili powder (or substitute cayenne)
1. In 6 quart pot, sauté onion, garlic, carrots, and peppers in olive oil, over medium heat until softened.
3. Add black beans (don't drain), tomatoes, stock, and seasonings.
4. Bring to simmer and then reduce heat to low-medium for 1 hour.
5. Blend soup with immersion blender to desired consistency (I like some texture).(Or use a blender, remembering to always use CAUTION when blending hot liquids; don't fill too high, hold a towel over the lid while blending, and remove lid carefully to avoid burning yourself on the steam.)
5. Serve garnished with fresh cilantro, jalapeno, cooked corn, and/or avocado.
Serves 4-6. Enjoy!