Fabulous Vegan Buffalo Brussels Sprouts
Updated: Feb 18
🎶 “Every day I’m Brusselin’...” 🎶
That’s my theme song! I love love love Brussels sprouts, so when I saw this on a menu recently I knew I had to try my hand at a healthy version. The key to this recipe is seasoning and roasting the Brussels before adding this sauce, as this layers the flavors and brings out the sweetness. Roasted brussels have such a delicious crispiness of the outside leaves and an almost creaminess to the inner portion. I use a textured non-stick sheet pan without oil for roasting.
Who doesn't love Buffalo sauce, and I think Frank’s is the quintessential hot sauce for Buffalo flavor, but of course feel free to use your favorite. My second choice is Louisiana brand. This Buffalo sauce would be great on any roasted vegetables or as a substitute 🤫for the unhealthy buttery version of Buffalo sauce for wings. This recipe makes extra sauce, so let me know what you do with it!
Brussels sprouts (1-2 lbs)
1-2 t. herbs de Provence
1 c. Frank’s hot sauce
1 t. garlic powder
1 dash liquid smoke (optional)
1 dash coconut or soy aminos (optional)
1/4 c raw cashews
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Soak cashews in a small heat safe bowl with enough hot water to cover.
3. Prep the Brussels sprouts. For each, remove the outermost layer of leaves, cut the stem off the bottom, and then cut in half. Place Brussels cut side down in a single layer on a nonstick sheet pan, or sheet pan covered with parchment paper, or sheet pan very lightly coated with coconut or olive oil cooking spray. Measure the herbs de Provence into your palm, and then lightly crush the leaves with the fingers of your other hand. Sprinkle the herbs liberally over the sprouts. Bake for 20-25 minutes until outer leaves are browned and crisp.
4. While roasting, prepare the Buffalo sauce. Drain half the liquid from the cashews, and then place remaining liquid and cashews in a blender with the hot sauce, garlic powder, and optional ingredients. Blend on high until mostly smooth (tiny pieces of nuts are fine).
5. When the Brussels sprouts are roasted, remove from oven, immediately place in serving dish and toss with desired amount of Buffalo sauce, and serve. If you are cooking ahead, after roasting let them cool, don't add the sauce, and then refrigerate. Immediately prior to serving, toss with Buffalo sauce and heat in microwave or saucepan until warmed through.